Home » Self-Assessment

Self-Assessment

Throughout my life, everyone told me that the first day of college would be easy. I was told you barely got any work and it’s not as stressful as being in your third year in college.  But from August 26th, 2020, the real education started. The first week of classes wasn’t that bad, professors would just talk to us and wouldn’t give assignments. but from the second week, that’s when hell broke. For high school, you could bullshit way through but for college, it’s a whole different story. Coronavirus made it hard for us. We all got lazy from the quarantine and it would be hard for us to wake up in the morning.  We wouldn’t pay attention in class because the class is at home. I think class at school would have been so much better.  one thing I was worried about was making friends. I was thinking to myself, making friends over zoom would be hard. But it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. It went well, I meet Khan from Professor Jennifer Buno class. He and I worked on a project together and from that project on we became good friends. He’s a funny and outgoing person.  the best part was he lived near me.  We met up a few times and it was fun. 

Going into college my aim was to get what I want to say on paper clearly and mannerly.  during high school, I would write these papers which wouldn’t make sense or put in any work. Most of the papers that I wrote in high school would either be so long or hard to understand from the reader’s perspective. So, I changed my mindset and was aiming to do my best.  Our focus when reading and writing was to apply rhetorical situations.  These include audience, author, tone, purpose, genre, medium, stance, and language. Rhetorical situations were the main achievement of course. Professor gave us multiple papers that were of different types of genres. All of which was interesting and helpful. The literacy narrative was more of a personal essay Which brought back memories. And the research projects were more informational which helped us learn and think outside the box. Doing research projects for real fun. The amount of research that was done for the research projects was insane but learning about new things and what’s going on in this world, reading about world struggles made me more thankful. Something helpful was reading different styles of essays which helped me write better papers. Professor would give us peer reviews which helped us grade our classmate’s papers and help them with grammar or add information that would make their papers outstanding. The passages professor gave were so interesting to the point where it makes you think twice. The most important rhetorical term the semester was the tone and audience. Making sure to express my attitude and feelings about the subject and the audience can feel and see the different styles of language and tone I use. One great thing that we used for this semester were, “reading, drafting, collaborating, revising, and editing.” These four steps made out our papers a thousand times better. 

Ultimately, this course was one of the best courses I’ve taken the semester. It helped me learn much more than expected. Made me new friends and changed my whole mindset of writing papers which I used to hate. Professor sometimes let us free write which helped me control what I wrote and thought of. The rhetorical situations that were taught in this course will help us write other papers well. The strategies Professor taught us will always stick with me for the rest of the semesters.